A friend of mine recently went through a pretty dramatic breakup. And by pretty dramatic, I mean there was cheating. And by cheating, I mean he was sleeping with the city. But that’s neither here nor there.
While her heart and head were left to make sense of it all, her body had a different way of dealing. As if she really needed more on her plate, her formerly healthy skin turned against her and left my beautiful friend feeling inadequate and worse for wear.
Not only does a bad breakup affect your ability to do a number of things — like 1. get out of bed and 2. not drink wine for breakfast — it also does a number on your nerves, stomach, and face. And while you may not be able to control some things in life, you can certainly make strides to control the health of your skin.
Finding a good nightly regimen and sticking with it is one way to combat the ol’ breakup breakout. The key to getting your glow back is to go natural and stay consistent. Because, like my mother told me, the best revenge is always, always a better life.
Here are a few suggestions on what you can do to save face despite the drama:
- Facial Cleanser: No matter how tired you are, you gotta wash your face. Use a gentle, organic soap that’s also strong enough to get rid of all the nasties. Rinse, repeat, and dry. Make sure you use a product that will be kinder to your skin type than that jerk was to your heart.
One to try: Dr. Hauschka Soothing Cleansing Milk: This guy here uses Bentonite clay and fermented grain extract to clear out dirt, makeup, and oil while anthyllis extract nourishes, tones, and soothes.
- Night Cream: Nurture your skin every night with an organic night cream that’ll make you feel like the kind of person who can take care of their own damn self. It also helps reduce discoloration, hyperpigmentation, post-acne spots, and dark spots. By the time you begin to see the difference — four to six weeks — you may even have your appetite back. Goals.
One to try: Kahina Night Cream: This stuff is serious grown-up stuff, guys, and falling asleep cloaked in a cream that smells of the lilies and Japanese wakame seaweed it’s made from will assure you everything’s gonna be just fine.
- Eye Gel: Whether your eyes are puffy from crying or your dark circles are due to lack of sleep, a good eye gel will set you straight so you can grieve as you wish and still look lovely. Firming the skin around your eyes, eye gels are excellent combatants against fatigued, tired, and run-down skin.
One to try: Skin Owl Eye Gel Aloe + Cucumber: This super lightweight miracle worker uses hyaluronic acid, periwinkle, and licorice to transform translucent skin into a thing of radiant resilience.
- Night Conditioner: While this isn’t something you have to worry about 365 days a year, it’s an excellent addition to the life of your skin every few months. Begin now, use for 28 days, and the next time you have to break it out, your breakup will be a distant memory.
One to try: Dr. Hauschka Renewing Night Conditioner: This 28-day regime uses oil-free ampules to encourage proper hydration and revitalize pale and lifeless mature skin. Condition once per decade of life: So, if you’re 30, use three times a year. If you’re 40, use four times every year, and so forth.
- Night Serum: The job of night serums is to protect your skin from environmental stress and accelerated aging — read: helps you stay young despite life’s bull.
One to try: Sevani Advanced Omega Night Repair Serum: This serum is packed with vitamin C, A, CoQ10, and Kukui oil to fight the bad stuff, while rosewood, sea buckthorn, and neroli essential oils help hydrate and regenerate so you can get your glow back!